Categories of hosting services
A hosting service includes depositing and/or sharing specific web content on a web server handled by a web hosting company. There are different classes of hosting services used for various aims, so let's examine these. Doing so, you can decide what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to have a weblog, mails, or to share files with friends and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution offered by some companies, which enables you to share big files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only purpose is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a list of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free file storage services often involve advertisements next to the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a certain period of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you buy a paid file hosting plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting traders, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly incongruous interpretation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would divide the workload between independent packs of web servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending different web page hosting services (email, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, web page hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is simply a brand of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; specific companies offer a hosting service for pictures exclusively. This hosting kind is good if you wish to share a huge amount of pictures with chums or colleagues since the service is typically free of charge. You will obtain a random link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for sites.
- Email hosting: a service committed to managing your email accounts. Some providers provide hosting solutions for sites, but do not provide an e-mail service. If you wish to keep an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a website, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can open e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video file in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this approach instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video produces a particular amount of CPU load, so with several video files and several hundred website viewers, you may have a hard time with your hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will enable you to have as many video files as you want without bothering about system resources.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to run a site. To a certain degree, it incorporates all of the aforesaid hosting variants since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can keep databases and email mailbox accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At NTC Hosting, for example, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated hosting plans that permit you to have all of the aforesaid services in one single place. There may be restrictions based on the kind of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web page hosting account may be better or worse in comparison with the routine email/file/video/image hosting packages that are tailored for specific web content exclusively.